Texas Gov. Greg Abbott:
‘This already dangerous situation continues to deteriorate as the Biden Administration knowingly imports COVID-19 into Texas from across the border—willfully exposing Texans and Americans alike.’
‘President Biden has a duty and a responsibility to protect and uphold our nation’s sovereignty, yet he has long-since abdicated his authority to do so.’
‘To be clear, the Biden Administration is knowingly importing COVID-19 into Texas from across the border and knowingly exposing Texans and Americans to that disease.’
Civil rights groups and immigration advocates have said Abbott’s move for troopers stop vehicles could invite racial profiling and restrict the ability of shelters to take in newly arriving families.
The Justice Department filed the lawsuit in a federal court in El Paso – asking for an immediate block on Abbott’s order.
- Abbott made the statement after AG Merrick Garland announced the DOJ filed a lawsuit over an executive order the governor signed Wednesday
- Executive Order GA-37 tasked state troopers with stopping any vehicle suspected of carrying migrants and reroute them to their origin or arrest them
- Abbott claimed that the migrants pose a risk of spreading the COVID-19
- His executive order came even after he ended many the Lone Star State’s protective measures amid the pandemic
- He signed an executive order Thursday night preventing mask and vaccination mandates to promote ‘individual right and responsibility’ in Texas